Monday, March 30, 2015

The Five Stages of Falling In Love by Rachel Higginson



The Five Stages of Falling In Love by Rachel Higginson
4 stars



Synopsis
Elizabeth Carlson is living in the pits of hell- also known as grief. 

Her husband of eight years, the father of her four children and the love of her life, died from cancer. Grady’s prognosis was grim, even from the start, but Liz never gave up hope he would survive. How could she, when he was everything to her? 

Six months later, she is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life and get the kids to school on time. Both seem impossible. Everything seems impossible these days. 

When Ben Tyler moves in next door, she is drowning in sorrow and pain, her children are acting out, and the house is falling apart. She has no time for curious new friends or unwanted help, but Ben gives her both. And he doesn’t just want to help her with yard work or cleaning the gutters. Ben wants more from Liz. More than she’s capable of ever giving again. 

As Liz mourns her dead husband and works her way through the five stages of grief, she finds there’s more of her heart to give than she thought possible. And as new love takes hold, she peels away the guilt and heartache, and discovers there’s more to life than death.



Buy Link



My Review

I was a sobbing mess just in the beginning.  This book is beautiful and heartbreaking all in one.  If you have ever loved and lost someone this book is going to detail what stages you go through.  Not only if it were your lifetime partner, I think the author nailed it for anyone who has lost.  This wasn't just a story of love and loss for me.  It was a story of finding yourself.  About second chances.  Allowing others in - when you have shut the world out.   I cried several times.  It will touch you deeply.  


Let's be honest.... this is story of Liz - Grady - their four children and Ben.   When Liz loses the love of her life and is left to be the sole parent to their children.  Life basically ends for Liz.  Thus - the Five stages of Falling in Love happens.......   We are taken on her journey to recovery.  Every character playing an important role in the story.....her children included.




There were moments in the story I was frustrated and angry at the way Elizabeth behaves.  But then, I remembered why she was behaving the way she did.  I felt every emotion she felt.  She is dealing with a lot of life changes and doing the best she can in each situation.  The author has demonstrated almost every scenario that could happen and did it flawlessly - in my opinion!  I felt the story moved at a pace that was realistic.  The author gave us a friendship first between Liz and Ben.  Then we see Liz trying allow herself to love again.  This book is unlike any other.  It's going to break you down and bring you back up again.  As a parent, you are going to connect with Liz.  The everyday struggles of just getting up and making it to school on time will touch you.  


It's Fun....emotional and inspiring!  Tragic and uplifting!  



"Yes, Grady was your great love, but you are mine. And if you let me, I would be yours too. There isn’t a limit on how much we can love, Liz. You had Grady. Now have me."


Often times it is hard to connect to the characters.  To fall so in love with them.  To feel every emotion they feel.  I immediately connected to the characters.  I became Liz.  I felt her struggles.  You will fall in LOVE with Ben.  Ben -  swoon -  so patient....so kind......so loving......so sexy.......so understanding...... he has never been there to replace Grady.  He has always been there as her friend first... pushing her when she needed to be pushed.  Someone to lean on when she needed to lean and then when she needed to love again..... she had him.  


"Maybe Grady had been able to love the woman that I was, but Ben would get to love the woman I had yet to become."



One click this and see why Ben is going to become your new BBF and why The Five Stages of Falling In Love has become a top Favorite for many.  Bravo Rachel! 



The only light I can find, beyond my children, is in Ben and he brings his own private agony that rips at my chest with claws as sharp as knives.

He is both comfort and pain. Both freedom and shame. The relief I feel when I am with him is at odds with my private guilt." 

No comments:

Post a Comment