Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My Review of Gus (Bright Side 2) by Kim Holden

WARNING - YOU MUST READ BRIGHT SIDE FIRST!  STOP READING THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T!  



Synopsis

The journey that began in top-rated, best-selling Bright Side, continues ... 

This is the story of Gus. 
Losing himself. 
Finding himself. 
And healing along the way. 

“ … but the honest-to-God truth is I don’t even know how to function anymore. Bright Side wasn’t only my best friend; she was like my other half ... the other half of my brain, the other half of my conscience, the other half of my sense of humor, the other half of my creativity, the other half of my heart. How do you go back to doing what you did before, when half of you is gone forever?” 






Review 

Like most, we sat patiently and anticipated the release of Gus.  After reading Bright side - most of us had NO IDEA- what was in store for us.  And were left an emotional mess.   But, with Gus - we knew what happened and we kind of knew what was to come.  This picks up right where we are left with Bright Side...... 

Gus was on a journey of healing.  It was a long road and one that was full of  sad memories that led him to coping in ways most of us are not proud of.  My heart broke for Gus.  I cried for the first few chapters when I saw the downward spiral of where his life was heading.   A train wreck - self destruction and the choices he made for coping.   Bright Side would not be happy about this!  I actually stopped reading - twice - because my heart couldn't bare to read it.  But, I eventually came back to it and "sucked it up"! 

“I don’t know to be Gus without her, dude. I’m fucking lost as shit.”
The way Kim wrote using a "diary" of sorts was fun for me to read.  It puts you there ... in his day to day life.... this was a story about finding closure.  Being able to live life again.  You see the true meaning of family and friendships.  

The introduction of a new character was a breath of fresh air for me.  It gave Gus something to focus on - even if it wasn't in a romantic sense (in the beginning).  I loved how Scout was "damaged" herself and not what society deems as "perfect".  The two of them, I think healed each other.  The banter and humor back and forth using sticky notes was creative and I enjoyed that.  I smiled each time I read one.  

"Scratch the part where I thought we could be friend.  We're back to sticky notes.  F*ck it. I tried. Whatever" 



We knew it was going to be a tough road for Gus and I knew it would be a slow process.  I think Kim touched on the many emotions and sadly the self destruction we, as humans, face when we lose someone we love.  And in the end, we can overcome and find love again and live!  




We get a glimpse of  Keller and if I have anything negative to say - it was the lack of closure for me when it came to him.  I mean, I know this was a story of GUS, but Keller deserves a HEA and I just know someone is out there for him.  

This was full of humor, emotions and angst.  But in the end - we do get closure when it comes to Gus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment