Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Tracy's 5 star Review of Swelter by Nina G Jones



I married the right brother.

At least that's what I tell myself at night, when I stare at the ceiling and listen to the rhythm of the grandfather clock down the hall. It never feels like the mere passage of time, but a countdown towards something inevitable.

Bobby Lightly is selfish, irresponsible, and careless. I haven't seen him since the day I married his brother. He slipped out during the wedding reception without a word.

A year later, I heard Bobby was drafted to Korea. He never said goodbye. Never sent a letter. We had all come to terms with the fact that he was probably dead somewhere, either a victim of the war or its aftermath.

That is, until in the midst of an unrelenting heatwave, he showed up at the doorstep of the house I lived in with his brother. 

Everyone thinks I'm cruel. Everyone thinks I should be easy on him. They think I don't understand him. They all think I hate him. 

But what no one understands is that it was Bobby who broke my heart.

And I think he’s back to do it again.

Note: Swelter is a standalone novel. Appx. 80,540 words








So why am I just now finding this gem?  Goes to show, that some oldies need to be reborn and shared with the world.  This is one of them.  

Okay, so when I first started to read this book I thought to myself....yeah... I don't know if I can do this because it was set in the 1950's.  TRUST ME... don't let that sway you.  I am so glad I kept going.  It hooked me and gutted me like a fish.  

Your heart will hurt....it will break...it will mend...it will break again.... it will touch on some things that may not sit with some people.  

We have Rory, Bobby and Lily.   You see where this is going right?  A complete love triangle, of sorts.  GAH..... I can't even tell you much because it will ruin it.  I just can't imagine what Lily went through.  Married to one brother....loving the other.   She lived her life in an unhappy marriage and when her true love is brought back into her life - decisions have to once again be made.  


The twists and turns that happen blew me away and I had no idea they were coming.  I do think, that since this was based in the 50's and I apparently wasn't born yet, that I was taken back at the way some things happen and didn't happen.... maybe that's how they were back then.  But today, things would have played out differently in this one situation.  

Grab this.... read it.... feel it.... love it..... 



This book gave me ALL. THE.  FEELS!  A rollercoaster of emotions.    


I woke up still thinking of these characters.  Amazing! 

1 comment: