Sunday, January 15, 2017

Amy's 5 star ARC Review of Empires and Kings (A Mafia Series Book 1) by A.C. Bextor





The best-selling author of KEPT - A Second Chance Fairytale and the Lights of Peril introduces a new three-part series filled with passion, suspense, loyalty, and intrigue.

                                                            ~~~~~~

I was known as the traitor's daughter.
When I was five years old, my father was tortured, branded with the letter 'Z', then beaten and left for dead. The grueling punishment for his crime was a reminder to all others who dared threaten the Russian's reign.

I was the young girl left behind. A living piece of the traitorous puzzle the Russian leader tried so diligently to ignore.

Until I grew up. No longer could he deny how much my existence had always been intertwined with his. And in order to survive the life I was thrown into, I was forced to learn my place inside of it.

Vlad Zalesky was a tyrant to the lost.
I hated him.

He was a terror of mass destruction.
I was afraid of him.

He was a tormentor of the weak.
I only wanted to hide from him.

But not far beneath the venomous man's outward indifference was something else.

Vlad Zalesky carried secrets of unrestrained burden. I wanted to know those secrets.

And because of the decisions I made, someone in our family had to pay.




Author's Note: This is a dark romance. Due to content, this book should be read only by those over the age of 18.










Empires and Kings is AC Bextor's newest baby. Once again she has given a tale complete with complex, strong and vigilant characters. I thought in our Lights of Peril series and the spin off we had some ruthless warriors but you haven't seen anything yet. I thought my heart could not be destroyed any more so than in that series but this was just as bad. A criminal -- an innocent and a weave of lies, terror and hardship and a burden of being born into your path. 

Vlad Zalesky is of Russian descent, a 35 yr old father with a son Veniamin who is 16. Not only is Vlad responsible for his son but also his sister. This and the business takes the hours in his life along with his house guest. Klara. The woman he should stay away from. The child that grew up in his home. The past ... 

Klara Koslief has lived in the man's house since she was five. The man killed her father and sent her mother away. He doesn't love her or even like her. A child left alone with a killer. 

The story morphs into a line of murder and suspense bringing the crime families into peril. In AC fashion you will love and hate Vlad all at the same time. He is loyal and firm. He is a monster and a man who loves strong and hard. Those strengths will make you cringe and make your heart fly all at the same time. There is a line between love and hate that is very thin. We all know that. You will be walking this fine line hoping to balance it for these characters. 

The story ends with a tremendous amount of suspense in my opinion. I don't know how others feel but I thought you have got to be kidding me. I'm going to sit here now and bite my nails into terrible nubs until I know what the plans are. 

If you are looking straight away for a happy ending ... um ... well ... hum ... let me remind you again this is AC. There was one other particular book and character that was left to question that made me want to head to her house and do Ding Dong Ditch, egg the house and light poop on fire on her stoop. Yes ... just get ready. 

Thank you AC for the amazing read and new series. I am honored to read anything your hands put to the pages. Just don't keep breaking my heart! Review to post to Ramblings From Beneath The Sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment