Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Amy's 5 star ARC Review of War Poppy by Nicole Lynne






Poppy 
Love and war. Two words that should have little association, but to me the two go hand in hand. Both are a tragedy. They rip you open and spit you out. The war killed my husband, Connor, shattered my will to live, and took my best friend. Brandon may not have physically died in that war, but his soul did. And now we're left to pick up the wreckage. Expected to move on when all that is left is the ruins of a life we once had. 
Brandon 
War. It took everything from me, even myself. When you're only able to exist, death seems like a blessing. Pain...a welcome distraction. I ran from everything associated with my past, and then she found me, fighting, drowning myself in whisky, trying to forget. She reminds me of Connor, of what I've lost—what we've lost. In the midst of destruction, she's a salvation I don't deserve. 
I shouldn't love him. 
I shouldn't love her. 
Love is a war we never should have fought.









This one is heartbreaking --- a casualty of war -- yes that's the correct word ... by the way I love the cover. 

Poppy has lost her husband Connor -- her heart is broken into shattered pieces never to be whole again. Her life is nothing. She is a shell of a woman. He is gone. The war changes everyone. 
Poppy knows that Brandon is going to kill himself but just in a different way. He came back when Connor didn't but he didn't come back the same. His heart is not alive and beating but his body continues to move. 

Brandon is drowning himself in alcohol and memories. Poppy is trying to be there for him but all she does is remind him of the war and what he lost. He needs her but he doesn't. He wants her to help him and he shouldn't. Betrayal ... tragic events that never should have happened. A war torn place that took something precious to them both. 

This is an absolutely realistic story in the sense of the events that take place. I could not have read a better book that gives some light to what soldiers and their families go through. The ones left behind ... I have heard many "real soldiers" who are very close to me say that "death is the easy way out. Its when you come back home the real war ensues." -- That is such a powerful statement that says everything we need to know. You are going to need some tissues and your big girl panties for this one. Put them on and sink in. You won't want to miss it. 

Although this story is fiction I connected with my whole heart to this story. I loved the characters -- I loved the storyline and I loved every minute I spent with my head in these pages. What a beautiful and gut wrenching read. Excellent job -- and thank you for honoring me with an ARC. 

Review to post to Ramblings From Beneath The Sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment