Monday, December 16, 2013

Holding On (Lights of Peril) by A C Bextor



This novel contains material that is not suitable for individuals under the age of 18. Content includes: drug use, explicit language, violence, rape, and other scenarios with content that readers may find offensive. Please use caution when deciding on this book, as every reader has the right to understand the product before purchase. 

This book is one of two and does not contain an exact HEA as the reader may expect, yet. 

That’s Shame. My brothers best friend and the Vice President of Lights of Peril MC. Along with my best friend Sadey, we’ve all grown up together. I don’t have a memory that isn’t surrounded by the four of us. 

Years together as friends and often times in the face of adversity has led Shame, Hem, Mace, and Sadey to share their lives now as adults. 

Sadey and Mace have been best friends since they were five years old. As a child, teenager, and then young woman, Sadey longed for Hem to notice her. As years passed, she vowed to save all of herself for him with the hope that one day he would see her as the woman she was turning herself into, not just the child he remembers. 

Mace and Hem are siblings that grew up in a small town in the Midwest. Sharing the same mother, Mace’s father refuses to accept Hem as his own, leading him to a life similar to that of his biological father. 

Hem never set out to be President of the Lights of Peril Motorcycle Club, but when he left home at 17 to find the acceptance he was so desperate for, he ended up finding Doc. After Doc's passing Hem was determined to lead Peril into a clean existence. 

Sometimes we search our whole lives for something we think we are missing, only to find out what we had with us is what we were looking for all along.





This author took the MC world - put it in writing and kicked it up a zillion notches for me.  Ya'll know I am a MC book WHORE and leaving me gasping for air at the end was not expected.  I'd give her 20 plus stars for her EPIC BRILLIANT AS FUCK ENDING....even with the tears I shed..... She took a completely different route as to where her characters would be at the end and left me speechless.  

As with most MC books we have the usual.... lot's of club whores, drinking, smoking, orgy type parties, not so legit business deals, several MC's at war etc.....and yet we have a love story with two different couples.  All whom grew up as best friends since Child hood.....

Hem - President of the Lights of Peril MC - brother to Mace
Mace - sister of Hem...in love with Shame since childhood
Shame - Hem's Best Friend and VP of the MC
Sadey - Mace's Best Friend and in love with Hem since childhood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I love your face"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I came across this book when I was on a group I follow and someone posted about how great it was.  Being the MC Whore that I am ... I went right on over to Amazon and one clicked that bitch.  Stayed up until I was done.  Then sat here in my bed and said "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" as I was bawling..... THERE ARE NO REAL TEARS WHILE READING MC BOOKS!  SOOO NOT COOL.... I'd probably get my MC Whore card pulled if any on them seen me  hehe


It made me laugh
It made me cry
It pissed me off
It made me cry
It broke my heart
It made me happy

It's not an easy road for any of these characters.  There is angst, sadness, drama, secrets, betrayals, lots of sex....yummy sex!  This is a story about love, heartache and tragedy!  

Shame - wow!  That man can make your panties melt.  He is also an arrogant Son of a Bitch.  He hurt me so many times in this book that my heart was literally aching....legit aching...like I was wishing I was Mace so many times in this book and actually felt like I was her when he would go and do the typical dumb shit these arrogant MC members do. And yet he is romantic and sweet when he wants to be.  Hot Alpha Biker, Tattoos and Piercings..... YUMMY!  He has a not so great childhood and it is hard for him to open up and love.  Hense him only saying to Mace - "I love your face"  Shame is much older than Mace and has watched over and protected her since they were kids.  

Mace - LOVE THIS GIRL!  She's strong, feisty and mouthy.  Takes shit from no one!   Knows what she wants and she does it.  Not caring what she is being told. Grew up around the MC so she knows what to expect and yet when she witnesses stuff as an adult it breaks her!  Pisses Shame off all the time with her stubborn ways.  Steps into Club Business when she shouldn't and pissing Shame off even more.  Mace learns some life lessons in this book.  She has decisions to make that make or break her.  

Sadey - sweet Sadey.  She has a lot of waking up to do in order to be a part of this club.  So innocent! And yet she is so in love with Hem she is willing to do whatever it takes to be a part of his world.  

Hem - Just as cocky and arrogant as Shame.  Being the Prez of the MC he uses that power for many things....including the club whores. He's a sweetheart though.  The love he has for his sister is beautiful.   He knows he loves Sadey but can't commit to just her.  Hem hurt me to on several occasions in this book.  And yet, I loved him.  

Ace - another character I loved.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“You are mine. You've been mine since you took those training wheels off that pink bike of yours and fell at my feet. Never even cried, you didn't.    Just sat on my lap trusting that I had you. Well I have you now, baby. You’re grown up, you’re a woman, and you’re mine. Mine.” 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This book doesn't necessarily leave us with a HEA it is more like a HFN.... it doesn't really have a cliffhanger and yet it kind of does......  I was so mad at the author at the end and what she did to the characters and yet I found it to be fucking brilliant!  She took me on one hell of an emotional roller coaster and ripped out my heart and made my bawl and yet I didn't know whether to be angry at her or kiss her!  She takes us on a journey of an MC that handles business when and where it's needed.  As brutal as some parts may be.  She took us on a journey of finding true love and happiness in an MC world.  She gave us some not so pretty story lines of rape/almost rape....beatings and murders..... death..family...friendships....secrets.....betrayals...LOVE... she gave us what we needed.....to fall in love with these characters....to feel like we were a part of their world. To feel like we were their family.   To feel every emotion they felt and to be left with what she thought was the way the ending should be for each character.  I said this previously.... she is brilliant!   I will stay on a book high and wait for the next installment of the Lights of Peril.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you go to sleep at night and wake up the next morning still thinking of that book.... that's when you KNOW It was an AMAZING book!  When you can't even type out everything your brain wants to say -  in fear of ruining it for others.  When you sit here drinking your coffee and replay moments in the book that you highlighted.  When you message the author and tell her she is AMAZING AND BRILLIANT..... that's when you know it was a GREAT BOOK!  

I  give it 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment