Wednesday, January 15, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH ELISABETH GRACE *RUMOR HAS IT*



Would you like to introduce yourself with a short bio?  Things that we don’t know about you maybe? 

I have a soft spot for romance novels with happily ever afters and a HOT spot for alpha males! I currently live outside Toronto, Canada with my hubby, two small children and cat spawned by the devil. Life is busy, but never to busy for a good story and to share my love of reading and writing with others. Things I can tell you that sum me up...I'm a sugar and carb addict, self-professed Gandy Girl, a disaster in the kitchen, a LOVER of all music, enjoy reality TV and I'm an early riser! When I have a moment to breath you can usually find me typing furiously on the keyboard to get my next story on paper, or curled up reading about someone else's HEA.

When you aren’t busy writing – what can we find you doing?

If the kids are up than I’m on mommy duty. If my youngest is having a nap or they’re both in bed I’m probably reading. Of if hubby has been successful in his nagging than I’m in the basement watching another episode of something on Netflix.

Is writing your fulltime job?

I wish! Sadly, no. I work on a real estate team with my husband, brother and father-in-law as my day job.

What’s the BEST thing about being an author?

I think the best thing would be being able to engage with other people who share my love for a good story and a smoldering alpha male. I get introduced to so many new authors and books through talking to people on my FB page or on Goodreads. The author/reader community is a great one to be engaged in!

Are there any topics that you won't write about?

I really believe in the adage ‘Never say never’, so I’d have to say no to this one.

Are any of the situations, scenes or characters based on your life or events in your life? If so, can you elaborate any?  =) 

When I first read this question I thought my answer was no. I think there are probably small pieces of my personality in each character, but I’ve never met or fallen in love with a celebrity so all of that was my imagination and not personal experience.

But I got thinking about it some more I realized that one event that happens in the book did occur in my own life. I don’t want togive anything away from the book, but the situation Ellie finds herself in near the end of the book happened to me. I was out one night with my friends and someone did that to me. Thank goodness my friends took me home safely but it could have been much worse. I got lucky!

How did you name your characters? 

I know some authors really put a lot of thought into their character names, but I’m not one of them. LOL With the exception of the hero. I always want to find a strong name for the male lead and hopefully one people will remember. I’ve also realized over time that I like to have either a one syllable/two syllable mix or vice versa. My last three names have been Mason Nash, Landon Steele, Max Richfield. Case in point. LOL For the rest I normally use whatever name pops into my head first!

What made you write Rumor Has It?
 
The original idea for the series came about after a friend of mine had divorced and then jumped back into the dating game. It was SO different that ten years previous. Now people met online, “talked” via text, broke-up over text or e-mail. That lead me to thinking how much our society has changed with how quickly information can be disseminated throughout social media, and the consequences of that both positive and negative.

If you could spend one day with any one of your characters…who would you chose and why? 

It would either be Mason and in this imaginary world I’d still be single. Why? For obvious reasons of course. I also think it would be a hoot to hang out with Katie for a day. She has no filter.

Is there anything that is a MUST while you are writing…superstitions etc?

My friends would all tell you that I am a very superstitious person but strangely I don’t have any superstitions in regards to writing. My only rule is that I don’t go back and edit until the first draft is done. I get the entire story on paper and then go back to layer in details, rearrange scenes (or completely scrap them if need be), etc. I just want to get all my ideas on paper, stay in the moment of where I am in the story and then work on improving it from there.

3 things your readers do not know about you.

~~ I got married in Vegas on 7-7-7 and changed my wedding dress a month before the wedding. Sent back the one I ordered and took one off the rack that I liked better.
~~ When I was in grade four I was cast in three educational films that the board of education was making on pioneers.
~~My first child had colic and it was the most difficult, frustrating and mentally challenging time of parenting thus far (knock on wood).

What draws you to write in this genre…. =)

When New Adult really started to take hold I was SO happy! I’d long thought it was a missing piece of the puzzle. I’d read a lot of contemporary romance and although that’s in my age bracket now, I still really wanted to read about characters who were just starting to figure life out and not so set in their ways. I look back on that part of my life fondly and so I think it’s also a little about nostalgia for me.

What was the hardest thing about writing your book?  

Finding the time to do so. Most definitely. Working full time, raising two children and being a wife takes a lot of time (as any wife or mother knows), so setting the time aside was hard. My husband is fully supportive but sometimes when I’d be sitting in front of the computer I’d be SO tired that it’s hard to even form a sentence, let alone produce something you think other people might want to read.

Do you have a hardest scene you had to write? If so, can you explain?

Not in Rumor Has It. This book just flowed for me. That said, I’m trying to finish up the draft of book two in the series, Picture Perfect right now and there is one scene that I just cannot seem to get down on paper. I’d tell you about it but I’d spoil the surprise! ;)

What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write about and why?

I enjoyed writing the pool scene. If you’ve read the book you probably know what that one is. I also really enjoyed writing about when Ellie met one of her favorite rock stars back stage at one of the festivals. I was living vicariously through my character. ;) Any guesses as to who the rocker she met was? I put some clues in there that fellow fans would probably pick up on!

Would you want to be involved with one of your characters in real life?  If so, who and why?

Probably not since my series revolves around people finding themselves dealing with various levels of fame or notoriety. I personally have no interest in being famous. I think that kind of pressure must be crushing and not knowing who to trust and whether the people in your life are genuine are not would be very difficult in my opinion.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?

 Strangely enough I’m a morning person but most of my writing happens at night after the kids are in bed.

Do you have any pet peeves?

People you let into traffic that don’t throw you the courtesy wave to show their appreciation. J

Do you have any phobias and if so what are they?

wouldn't call it a phobia but the older I get the more anxiety I have about flying for some reason.

Do you have a “secret” author crush?  Can you reveal….

What’s the equivalent of bromance…bramance maybe? LOL If so then I’d love to have a bramance with author Karina Halle! I LOVE her writing! It’s sexy and gritty and emotional. Her horror stuff actually has me looking behind my back while I read and her love stories either have me turned on or crying. She seems like such a cool chick and I think we’d get on well!

What does the color BLACK make you think of?

AC/DC…Back In Black came on the radio on my drive home tonight. LOL

Fill in the blanks…

I am really awesome at inhaling any type of chocolate in my path.

I am really embarrassed to admit that I love the new One Direction song “Story Of My Life.”

The last great book I read was On The Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves.

My favorite book boyfriend is Jericho Barrons from Karen Marie Monings Fever Series and why – because he is the ULTIMATE alpha male.


Give us your best pitch to convince readers to one click and give your book a try.

Oh this is hard! Why don’t I share what readers have messaged me saying they enjoyed about Rumor Has It? Hot sex scenes, strong female lead, liked that it was a change from the usual rock star romance in that he’s a hip hop star, and many said they laughed a lot while reading the book.








1 comment: