Monday, August 3, 2015

Amy's review of Scrupulous (An Affliction of Falling #1) by Kristina Canady

Synopsis

 ***This novel is intended for adults(18+) for mature and explicit sexual content. It is a standalone and the series does not have to be read in order.*** 

Sorcha 
Some men just can’t accept that a woman can be perfectly content without them. I mean, come on—a girl can get laid whenever she wants. It’s not like it’s hard. And Lord knows, I have no interest in a relationship. There is no room for that drama-filled nonsense in my life. Pursuing my passion is all I have time for. Selfish and shortsighted? Perhaps. However, I know what I want and I have no problem going after it. Life is a string of decisions, constructed and manifested by each person. I own mine, and I don’t apologize for it either. 
Gavin 
My past always seems to define me. I hadn’t ever considered love as an option for someone with the background and proclivities that I have. Not until I spot a sexy little brunette across the crowded room. It’s magnetic, and as much as she tries to resist, I am going to have her. Even though she won’t submit, her sass does something to me—changes me. Come hell or high water, she will be mine.








3.5 stars

What happens when two strong willed people collide?  Sorcha and Gavin happen.  Sorcha is one in a million.  She has a point system and if the current man of the night she is eyeing from her spot at the bar lands within a certain set of points then he gets “in.”  Sorcha as no desire for relationships and never beds the same man twice.  Those things lead to complications she doesn’t need in her life.  She doesn’t apologize for who she is.  She is picky and she isn’t bedding a man nightly.  Its been a month since her last romp; she is picky and knows what she wants.  Call it what you want; she is who she is.

Gavin is taken back by the sassy “girl” that is speaking to him; a Master in the tone that she does.  No no has ever denied him or much less walked away from him.  He doesn’t know why he went after her but pulling her into the room at the club just started a force in motion that they both are thrown into neither understands.  One night .. that was it .. that’s all it took to send them both into a complete shit storm.

Gavin and Sorcha are great characters and Sorcha is definitely the one in charge although Gavin is the Master.  This girl is hilarious.  I loved it.  Gavin, I wanted to punch him but he is hot so yeah you know you tolerate it to a point.  HA!  Ms. Candy gives a very detailed and informative script of the BDSM lifestyle in this book.  If you didn’t have a clue, you will after reading this.  At times it was too detailed for me as in if you are familiar with the lifestyle then it seems to drudge on at a few points but not to the point that its boring.  Its just a little overkill if you know what is what in that choice of style.

The story is good and the struggles from moving past their current lifestyles into this new adventure are somewhat compelling.  It does make you think how those that find love in the BDSM lifestyle would handle these “issues.”
This was my first read by Kristina Canady and I will say that I will click on her other releases when they come out.  As this is labeled Book #1 I would assume we will see more of these characters as she stated her next book out will focus on the character we meet in release; Jade.  I fear her story is going to be heartbreaking from what we know of her at this point.  Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment