Saturday, April 16, 2016

Amy's 5 star ARC Review of Calico by Callie Hart








*** STANDALONE contemporary romance, with hints of darkness. This novel contains serious themes of violence that some readers might find uncomfortable*** 

Coralie 

Twelve years ago, I ran to stay alive. 

Port Royal, South Carolina, was my home. I was born there. I fell in love there. And I nearly died there. I never thought I’d go back. Now, after so many years, I have to return to bury the man who made my life a living hell. Some nights, I used to cry myself to sleep, praying my father would die. Other nights were different. Other nights, there was him. 

Callan Cross. 

My first confidante. My first kiss. My first love. My first everything: Callan was the glue that held me together when everything else was falling apart. He was my savior. He was there for me whenever I needed him… 

Until he wasn’t. 

Every night, I’ve seen the love of my life in my sleep. 
I just never thought I’d have to face him again. 


Callan 

Twelve years ago, I f*#@ed up big time. 

Living life through a camera lens is sometimes easier than dealing with it head on. Scratch that. It’s always easier. For over a decade, I’ve been a master of my art, taking photographs all over the world. Yet despite all of the countries I’ve visited, the amazing things I’ve seen, the beautiful women I’ve screwed, my heart has remained in pieces. 

Coralie’s the only woman I’ve ever loved, will ever love. And I’m determined to show her that we’re meant to be together. Even if it means unearthing the bones of the past in the process. 

A lifetime and a thousand miles have stood between us. 
Now, there’s no length of time I won’t wait, no distance I won’t travel, in order to make her mine











5 brutal stars

Callie Hart is one of my favorite writers. Her characters not only come alive on the pages but they snatch up your body and consume you. If you are a fan you know Callie is talented but this story will do more than put you on the edge of your seat, it will strip you of every emotion laying dormant within you and flood every ounce of pain you hold onto the pages. 

Callan Cross is twenty nine years old, a photographer, dark, broody and could give two f**ks how the world sees him. The feelings toward his work is another story. On his way back to his home town to spit on the grave of a monster, he relishes at the thought of pissing on the dirt that covers the man he wishes he had killed himself. 

Coralie Taylor is on her way back to Port Royal; a town she swore she would never set foot in again after she ran all those years ago. The last words she said to Callan were goodbye as she turned and walked away from the man she has only ever loved. Knowing what her father did to her would have ended anything between them. She was so good at hiding it; she was so good at lying. He cant be here for her father's funeral. He needs to go back to New York and stay away from her. 

This is a story of an abuse so brutal you will ache from the grief brought down on Coralie. The only spot of light in her life is Friday Beauchamp and Callan. But her last lie and her last secret has to stay hidden not only from Callan but also her father. If she doesn't get away he will eventually kill her. Callan's character is so in depth and perceptive that I found myself highlighting his words, going back and reading them again and again. The strength of this man and his fierce love for Coralie is something I cannot put into words. And Friday Beauchamp .... this is the picture of a true southern woman full of wisdom and grace. Knowing what Coralie was going through she gave the child all she could to make her see there are so many reasons to figure, let go and find your way. 

The secondary characters are fantastic in their own right. Shane and Tina are friends from high school and don't pull any punches with dealing with hairy situations. I wanted to scream at Enzo and ask him why he turned his head. I don't know if this is a standalone or if we will hear from these characters again but whatever Callie decides I am shouting to the rooftops the NEED to click this one up. 

My words do not do this brilliant tale justice. I applaud Callie and her am grateful for her gift of writing that she shares with us. Thank you for the ARC -- Review to post to Ramblings From Beneath The Sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment