Saturday, December 24, 2016

Amy's 5 star ARC Review of Trick by Laramie Briscoe








A forced sentence leads to a reckless passion…….

Hadley

When my husband walked out on me over a year ago, it devastated me. When the divorce papers came, it killed me. When we had to sell our house, it broke me. 

But then he moved in with his new flavor of the month and told our daughter his new woman wasn’t into children. That pissed me off.

Now Riley feels abandoned, and I can’t make it better; no matter how hard I try. I’m desperate to help her adjust to the loss of a male figure in her life. The companion program that matches adults up with children who have loneliness and abandonment issues is my last hope. 

The counselors tell me he’s doing community service hours, and I ask to sit in on his meetings with Riley. The minute I see him astride the matte black Harley, I know neither my nor Riley’s life will ever be the same again.

Trick

Community Service. Two words I should be thankful for, but I’m not. I resent the hours it’s away from building my business. The two previous kids I'd been paired up with didn’t work out because their mothers were more interested in getting in my bed. This next match with a little girl is my last hope. Unless this kid works out, I’m destined to serve time.

When they push her into the room wearing pink converse with a black dress, her crazy curls barely held back by the barrette in her hair, and studious glasses on her face, I can tell she’s scared - of new people, of change, of being pushed aside. Something inside of me breaks, and I want this girl to feel wanted again.

What I’m unprepared for is meeting her mom. The second our hands touch, there are fireworks, bright lights, and a picture of the future I could one day have. The future I’ve never allowed myself to wish for.

Community service becomes more than a chore, more than time I resent for being taken away from me. In the months that follow, I realize they’re just like me: they’ve been abandoned, left behind by the world, forgotten by those who should love them.

Thanks to the one last hope in both our lives - we found the light in the darkness we’d been searching for.








5 stars

So this is my first book by Laramie and I loved it. This is a second chance book. Not a second chance with the same couple but a second chance at life. Doing better – better choices – better confidence and better moments in time. I absolutely loved this story. Did I say that already? Because I loved this story. 

This is also a story of what you see with the eye should not be judged. What you feel with the heart AFTER getting to know someone is what you should see through your eyes. 

Hadley’s husband walked out on her – not only her but on their five year old daughter Riley. Feeling lost and alone not wanting that for her child she takes advantage of a Companion Program. The program matches people up with adults who help children. Children who have abandonment issues – Hadley doesn’t want Riley to ever feel unwanted and she certainly doesn’t want her daughter to grow up with the image and notions she has of men currently due to her piece of crap father. They had money, they had things .. but they never had love. That love went out the door when Hadley was born and he found her 15 year older husband banging his younger than her secretary. Asking for nothing she has made her life as good as she can for Riley on her own just like she wanted with nothing from HIM. 

Patrick or Trick as everyone knows him has done time. Now he has community service and if he screw this up he could find himself right back behind bars. The first two kids he was paired up with didn’t work out. Not because of the kids but because he refused advances from their single mothers. This has to work … and when the little girl with curls for days, her tutu and pink converse comes through the door and lays it out to me for being late something shifts … I know from this point on my life will never be the same. What I am also unprepared for his Riley’s mom …. She has sass and a spine and she certainly didn’t make advances … in fact it was the opposite. She is kind; willing to give me a chance but only for Riley .. 

My last hope could be my first hope. 

This was an exceptional read … the characters were amazing. Down to Riley and how she was described to Haley and her thoughts with Trick and his emotions. I will tell you that the character “G” I did think was going to do more than he did and the surprise is certainly from left field as we know in our stories there is also turmoil that leads to consequences and things we hope won't completely ruin everything that was worked for …. 

I read this all in one sitting and wished for more. I hope at some point we will get to revisit these characters in another release of some sort ..maybe friends with a different character .. something but I need to know more. I need to know where these characters are and how their lives are moving forward … maybe Riley’s story as she grows older!?!?!?! 

Thank you for the ARC! This was just fantastic and I love the cover. Perfect. 

Review to post to Ramblings From Beneath The Sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment